Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Value of You

It's Wednesday night, which means that "hump day" is officially over.  "Hump day" marks the middle of the work week, and when we get over this "hump" the weekend is in sight. Do you have certain weeks that just feel extra super duper long? I had such a week just last week. Monday was a holiday and I planned to take off on Friday for a "me" day. So I had a three day week but boy, did it feel different from this week! By "hump day" last week, also a Wednesday, I was burned out. I couldn't wait to get out of the office. Today, after my third day of work this week, I'm feeling fairly good, considering I've been pulling unanticipated 10 hour days in the office. The week has passed fairly quickly and I'm looking forward to the weekend but not with the anxiety that I had last week. The reason for the change in my outlook was practicing the ultimate act of self care last Friday. On my "me" day, I took a day to do just what I wanted to do. It left me recharged and fulfilled. 
When was the last time that you took a vacation? No, not with the kids or to visit your parents or to go somewhere your partner wanted to go. When was the last time you took a day to do just what you wanted to do. For me, it was to sit in Barnes & Noble all day and work on my business, then go out to dinner with friends and catch up over a glass of wine. We all have multiple obligations, multiple people and activities to split our time between. 99.9% of us do not put ourselves on that list of people we need to spend time with or to do things for. I challenge you to do that this summer. Take a day off-I mean really off!  See a movie, go to lunch with a friend, treat yourself to a yoga class, lay on the couch all day rereading Harry Potter, whatever you'd like! And do not feel guilty about it. The value of spending a day investing in you is priceless.  You will be surprised how much more pleasant and more productive you will be.  
When was the last time you took a day for yourself?  What does your ideal day look like? When are you going to take it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT/SUGGESTION BOX