Friday, May 28, 2010

Chiropractics

Chiropractors provide a popular form of alternative medicine and are perfect partners to a holistic health counseling practice.  Two weeks ago, I did not know what a chiropractor really did and decided I would find out in the name of research for my clients.  In the past week, I have learned a lot through a consultation, two adjustments and a treatment recommendation.
Chiropractors' primary concern is the health of your spine.  The brain and nerves make up the nervous system's central control panel.  It coordinates all of our bodily functions.  The health of the spine and the nerves it houses are vital to our well being.  In my consultation, I learned a very important chiropractic term-vertebral subluxation.  Vertebral subluxation is "when one or more of the bones of your spine (vertebrae) move out of position and create pressure on, or irritate spinal nerves." (source)  It sounds pretty serious, huh? And it sure is. When you have subluxation, your vertebrae shift causing nerves to pinch which affects the communication channel between your brain and rest of your body and it also will affect the health of your spinal disks which serve multiple purposes that I won't get into.  Did you know that the blood supply to your spinal disks stop after age 12 and only correct alignment and movement of the spine will bring nutrients to the spine?  
Our poor postures, habit of carrying heavy bags, and heavily sedentary culture are common causes of subluxations.  And even if you are very aware and have good posture, carry very little and move and stretch a lot, you can still have subluxation.  The majority of subluxations occur at birth, canal births in particular.  Additionally, falls, even those when you had when you were young, can cause subluxations.  Back and neck pain are obvious dis-eases that can be traced to subluxations but ailments that seem to be unrelated like migraines, depression, TMJ, and asthma can also be caused by subuxations.    
As I mentioned, I "drank the Kool-Aid" and sign up for two adjustments.  I had an adjustment yesterday and Wednesday.  Both adjustments were relatively quick compared to other doctor's appointments.  It seemed a bit crazy to pay a copay for about 8-10 minutes of adjusting but it felt really good.  Most notably, I feel lighter overall, especially in my neck and in my gait.  In the two sessions, the chiropractor adjusted my lower back, upper back, neck, jaw and wrist.  All of which resulted in popping or cracking of the bones.  It sounded like a pop rocks party :)  But in all seriousness, it was a way to realign the bones of the body and teach them to go back to where they should.  This starts the process of reminding the bones where they should be.
My first impression of chiropractics, so far, is very good.  I can definitely see where the synergies lie between holistic health counseling and their practice.  I look forward to finding out more about the practice.
Do you have any questions about my visit?  What is your experience with chiropractors?  Do you have other alternative healing techniques that you want me to try and review on this blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT/SUGGESTION BOX