Saturday, May 1, 2010

Motivating Exercise

Happy May, everyone! I'm going to keep this post short and sweet so that you and I both can enjoy the gorgeous weather that this month is already bringing us in the Northeast!

I wanted to touch a bit on motivation to hit the gym.  We've all had those mornings where we absolutely cannot get out of bed or those afternoons where getting post-work drinks at the rooftop bar is way more enticing than the 3-mile run on the treadmill while watching Rachel Ray cook.   One tactic that I would like to share with you today is a little reminder that I tell myself.  Whenever I feel like I don't want to workout, I remind myself that, "Every time I work-out, I never regret it afterward. I always feel better."  This little mantra is a great way to shift longer term goals like losing 10 pounds or fitting into those pair of pants into short term ones.  By doing that, you will celebrate the smaller victories that eventually accumulate to a larger one.

Hope this resonates with you and helps you get more exercise more often!  What are some tips and tricks you'd like to share about fitting in your workouts?

2 comments:

  1. Hello Lisa,
    I agree. Great example, of how creating and following through with short obtainable goals can lead to greater rewards, particularly not just physical rewards (such as meeting a goal weight, but also building self-efficacy and self-esteem). I also suggest putting these short obtainable minor goals in a calendar/planner something more concrete which will also provide an external motivation while you build an internal motivation.

    -Norman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight, Norman! I completely agree that there are mental and emotional rewards to achieving those goals as well.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT/SUGGESTION BOX