Wednesday, June 30, 2010

intenSati

In my May class at IIN, Patricia Moreno, a fitness instructor, went on stage and led a 10 minute class of a group exercise that she developed called intenSati.  intenSati is an exercise class that combines martial arts, yoga and affirmations.  Yes, affirmations and they are spoken out loudly and proudly.  She says that through positive affirmations, attitudes, and action, intenSati allows the mind and body to move into alignment and make you a stronger person.

Don't they look empowered? (source)

The class starts off with a "warm-up" which is really a time for the participants to set their intention for the next hour-similar to yoga.  Then there is a half hour of intense cardio based on martial arts where you combine punching, kicking and other movements with affirmations like "I am strong," "I have the willpower now," and "I am powerful."  After that, you move into yoga and balance postures to start calming the mind.  The goal of the class is to "empower you to live a life you love in a body you love."  It's a really interesting approach to exercise as it doesn't allow you to ever think "This sucks," "This is so hard," or "I can't do it."  Instead, it has you loudly vocally express these positive statements which eventually become part of your belief system. According to Patricia, the results of these classes include weight loss and improved body image powered by a better self esteem.  

Starting the workout, I felt a little silly declaring my strength and success but after my workout with Patricia, I really felt empowered and in charge of my life.  It was a great session and I really encourage you to check out her classes in NYC or consider purchasing her workout DVD.  For more information, check out her website, www.satilife.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT/SUGGESTION BOX