Thursday, April 29, 2010

Be Happy

I remember one time I got a beautiful bouquet of flowers and although they were all pretty, I really really like this orange rose. I admired it every day. And crazy enough, as all the other flowers withered up, this rose was still vibrant and in full bloom! I felt so guilty for essentially killing the other flowers, but it showed me that the energy that I put out there is really powerful.


We've all heard about a carbon footprint, even a water footprint. These terms have become more mainstream as our world is facing environmental issues. I learned a new term last weekend from Dr. John Douillard, "emotional footprint". Say what? An emotional footprint is more of an abstract idea that cannot be definitively measured like your carbon or water footprint. But it's actually a pretty easy concept to grasp. Just as all of our actions on this earth leave an impact or no impact on our environment, they also leave an impact in the emotional realm. It sounds a little out there but let's break it down a bit.


Our emotions manifest themselves in feelings, actions and reactions. These have an impact on the people and objects around you. One way you can do this is by leading with positive actions. Have you ever seen that Liberty Mutual commercial where a guy picks up a baby's toy, the baby's mother moves someone's coffee cup from the edge of a table, a guy looking on helps someone who's fallen on the street, and onlooker on the street later holds the elevator for colleague? These chain reactions happen every day. A similar chain reaction can happen with a simple and friendly hello and smile which can brighten someone's day in the morning leading to their doing a positive action. This pay-it-forward effect can reach wider circles than you can ever imagine. You can be part of the chain or the one who breaks the chain. Or even better, start it.


Whether you believe it or not, we choose to be happy or sad or mad or glad. And more importantly, whatever emotion we choose to be, we exude it. When you enter a room, before you even say a word, the people in the room can already tell if they want to talk to you or not. When you walk through a garden, flowers can feel your energy. Pets are a great example. Your dog or cat can't speak to you, but they know if you're happy and want to pet them or if you're sad and need a little cheering up.


Sure, it's not easy to be happy, go-lucky all the time. You start getting looks from people who ask, "What are you on?" I've definitely gotten asked that. But at the end of the day, I choose to be an optimistic person. This didn't happen overnight and sure, there are days that I am not as positive or happy, but I make a conscious decision that I won't let the little things bog me down. Someone said to me the other day, "Lisa, that's what I like about you. You are the eternal optimist." Best compliment I've received in s while :) If you don't think you can, fake it until you believe it. Wake up every morning and make the decision to be happy and positive and let yourself and the world reap the benefits of it. Start your own chain reaction today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT/SUGGESTION BOX